Visit my YouTube channel

One-dimensional Mitchell Robinson is committed to expanding his offense

admin
#USA#BreakingNews#News

FILE - New York Knicks center Mitchell Robinson (23) runs up court during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Milwaukee Bucks, Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021, in New York. Mitchell agreed to a four-year, $60 million contract to remain with the Knicks, Friday, July 1, 2022. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File) (Frank Franklin II, AP)




More impressive: Aaron Judge besting Babe Ruth or Mitchell Robinson toppling Wilt Chamberlain?

“I’m gonna say my record,” Robinson answered.

The question and answer, of course, were said in jest. Not all field-goal percentages are created equal.

When Robinson supplanted Chamberlain with the NBA’s highest single-season field-goal percentage, the Knicks center only attempted shots inside the paint. It was like winning the Masters while starting each hole on the green. His 74.2% conversion rate in the 2019-20 season (which pummeled Chamberlain’s mark from 1972-73) was mostly accomplished through an assortment of dunks, appearing effortless and failsafe for a 7-footer with bounce.

Now rewarded for these physical gifts with a $60 million contract, Robinson is again teasing an expansion of his offensive repertoire. This time it’s more realistic. He wants to incorporate a post-up game.

“I’m pretty sure everybody’s scouting report is just, catch a lob, this and that,” Robinson said. “So you got to add. You got to.”

Robinson seems to have finally abandoned his public desire to hoist 3-pointers. As a former Knicks assistant coach once told me, “Why doesn’t he figure out how to hit free throws first?”

Asked Thursday whether he still harbors those 3-point dreams, Robinson admitted, “I really just want to do crossovers, I ain’t gonna lie. I don’t want to shoot too much.

“But definitely I got to do something. It’s year 5. I go to do something.”

The ‘something’ is working with the ball and his back to the basket. Robinson had some opportunities in the first quarter of Tuesday’s preseason opener, including a pump-fake pivot lay-up that was called back because of his 3-second violation.

The play developed after a defensive switch left a smaller Bojan Bogdonavic to guard Robinson.

“My moves are solid,” Robinson said. “I got a nice look.”

Still, the reasons Robinson signed his big contract in the summer remain with his base. He’s imposing at the rim on both sides of the court.

Coach Tom Thibodeau called Robinson ‘the best offensive rebounder in the NBA,’ which tracks with the statistics. The 24-year-old was only behind Memphis’ Steven Adams in total offensive rebounds last season.

Robinson credited that strength training — which now has him in his sweet spot between 270 and 275 pounds — for his offensive rebounding prowess.

“People boxed me out and I couldn’t really do too much on the offensive glass. But now, I got a little weight, so it helps a lot,” Robinson said.

We’ll see if that translates positively to other phases of his game. Specifically in the post.

“The athleticism is special, but I also think the strength component, when he added that piece to it – he can take a hit and get through that. He’s shown that,” Thibodeau said. But I think a lot of other areas of his game have improved also — the rim protection, that part is obvious. I think he’s starting to grow now offensively.”

()


Originally published at Tribune News Service
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)
Visit my YouTube channel

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !