Visit my YouTube channel

When a pedestrian waves you through a crosswalk, believe her: Roadshow

admin
#USA#BreakingNews#News

OAKLAND, CA - JANUARY 03: A car passes the crosswalk on 35th Avenue near the Fruitvale BART station in Oakland, Calif., on Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019. A 14-year-old boy was struck and critically injured in a hit-and-run Wednesday at this location. (Jane Tyska/Bay Area News Group)




Q: Wednesday’s column on jaywalking prompted me to write about a crossing issue that especially affects seniors like me.

When I am walking and come to a crosswalk, including those at stop signs, I would like approaching drivers to believe me when I wave them on. I would much rather you just stop and go so that I can cross slowly and not feel rushed.

I generally step back from the corner, try to make eye contact, then wave to get the driver to proceed. Some drivers hunker down and try to get me to go. That does not help because I feel rushed and that is when I am most likely to stumble and fall.

If a pedestrian is trying to get you to go, believe them, and let them cross at their own pace.

Donna Prime, San Jose

A: Drivers are trying to be courteous and do the legally correct thing at a crosswalk. I understand your point, and why you feel that way. It helps for others to know.

Q: There’s a lot to say in favor of the new jaywalking law, beyond the history of unequal enforcement. How about how it fits in with your own history of being in favor of traffic calming?

Jaywalking laws are part of the prioritization of car traffic over other road users (like pedestrians and cyclists). All this new law does is walk that back a little. The burden, both legally and physically, is still on the pedestrian to determine that the road is clear and safe, but in the long run, we may hope that knowing that pedestrians use the road, too, will slow some drivers down. (OK, maybe that last part is unrealistic, but a guy can dream, can’t he?)

Gary BraininSan Jose

A: I think this may have the effect of slowing traffic, and getting those who text while driving off their phones. Pedestrians need to make sure that the road is clear and safe to cross, and drivers need to be aware that pedestrians may be crossing in unexpected areas.

Q: Jaywalking may be foolish, but it should not be illegal. Adults can make up their own minds about the dangers and crossing roads with care should not be a criminal offense. California lawmakers are far too fond of treating people like children. This law is a rare step in the right direction.

J. D. Dixon

A: And…

Q: Jaywalking is very dangerous for pedestrians. Use a crosswalk, and look both ways before stepping off the curb. The extra couple of minutes could save your life or prevent serious injuries.

Doug Musick

A: Still good advice.

Look for Gary Richards at Facebook.com/mr.roadshow or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com.


Originally published at Gary Richards
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)
Visit my YouTube channel

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !