Visit my YouTube channel

How to contact the DMV for a special driving test: Roadshow

admin
#USA#BreakingNews#News

People wait in line at the Winnetka DMV office last month. (Photo by Dean Musgrove, Los Angeles Daily News/SCNG)




Q: I really enjoy your informative column. Perhaps you can help me with my problem. My husband has been diagnosed with  dementia. Twice Kaiser has sent a report to the DMV requesting them to schedule him for a driving test for medical reasons, in order to keep his license. I don’t think he should be driving.

Kaiser said the DMV would contact us to set up an appointment, but we have heard nothing. Kaiser now says I must contact the DMV, but who do I contact? I would appreciate any help in finding out who to contact. The DMV website has me befuddled and frustrated.

Linda Schlageter

A: You wrote this email a few weeks ago. I forwarded it to the DMV. Recently you wrote again.

Q: Thank you! I did get to the right department to set up the test.

Linda Schlageter

A: I’m glad you’ve reached the right person now. If others are facing a similar circumstance, the DMV’s senior ombudsman program may be able to help. For more information and phone numbers to call, visit the DMV’s website.

Q: I thought I’d send you a follow-up after renewing my over-70 driver’s license. My total time at the Alma DMV office, including circling the parking lot several times looking for a parking space, was 47 minutes. I had a 12:20 p.m. appointment and arrived early. There was no one else in the appointment line. The non-appointment line had at least 30 people waiting.

Before I arrived at the DMV, I completed the renewal forms, took the e-course and test, and paid my fees, all online. I even learned a few interesting new rules from the e-course.

After checking in at the DMV, I waited about 5 minutes, then a very nice DMV guy verified everything, I did the eye test, signed a couple of documents, and had my photo taken. I was all done, with time to spare for lunch.

The only drawback is that I didn’t get to see the photo, which I will need to live with for the foreseeable future! Isn’t technology grand?

Elaine Elliott

A: Thanks for your story. Hopefully, others renewing their licenses have as successful an experience.

Q: Oh my goodness, Gary. Your column on where to get your aging or vintage automobiles smog checked makes me feel so old! 1998, 1993, 1987? Seriously? Those are barely broken in! Now. if you were talking about a ’38 Pontiac or a ’56 Chevy (the first car I bought), then we are talking old! And just like me, rusty bones and all.

John LaLonde, Indian Wells

A: Your email made me laugh, and I understand your thoughts on “old” vs. “barely broken in.”

Look for Gary Richards at facebook.com/mr.roadshow or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com.


Originally published at Gary Richards
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)
Visit my YouTube channel

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !