Visit my YouTube channel

Sharks forward open to returning to San Jose next season, even if traded

admin
#USA#BreakingNews#News

San Jose Sharks' Anthony Duclair (10) waits for a face-off against the Boston Bruins in the first period at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2023. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)




SAN JOSE — San Jose Sharks winger Anthony Duclair could be on the move to another team before the NHL trade deadline on Friday at noon (PST).

Regardless of whether he’s traded or remains in San Jose, Duclair, 28, said he’d be open to signing a new contract with the rebuilding Sharks this offseason. Duclair is in the final year of a three-year, $9 million deal he signed with the Florida Panthers.

Even if he’s traded, Duclair, or any UFA, can sign with any team on July 1.

“I made it clear (general manager Mike Grier) that I’ll keep the door open, keep my options open, and then we’ll see come July 1,” Duclair said. “I’m not counting out anybody or closing doors on anybody. I think that’d be stupid of me.

“But for me, personally, I’ve enjoyed my time here, I think everybody knows that I enjoyed the boys, enjoyed this organization, and would definitely be open to coming back.”

Duclair, acquired by the Sharks from the Panthers last July, said he does not want to talk about a new contract until after the season.

“Just better off to figure out contracts in the summer,” Duclair said when asked to clarify whether he’s already spoken to the Grier about a new deal.

“Just trying to finish the year and see how the year unfolds and then pick up the contract costs probably in the summer. I think that’s the smartest way to go about this situation. I think it was understood by both parties that we’d like to move forward that way. I think that would be better.”

No one around the team is happy with the Sharks’ 15-39-7 record going into Thursday night’s game against the New York Islanders. But Duclair has enjoyed living in the South Bay and has taken note of how many former Sharks players still have homes in the area and are part of the organization, formally or informally.

That appeals to Duclair, who would like to remain in a familiar spot for some time after playing for seven teams, including the Sharks, in his first 10 NHL seasons.

“It’s a nice tight-knit community, and the biggest thing I like is how ex-players come back and they’re part of the organization,” Duclair said. “You don’t see that on every team or every organization. Obviously, (the Sharks have) some legends sticking around and walking the hallways, so that’s some motivation.

“You kind of see how (guys), even post-career, stick around and love the organization. That’s something that I’d like to be a part of.”


Originally published at Curtis Pashelka

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)
Visit my YouTube channel

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Learn More
Accept !